Hey! Did you just buy a new pair of contact lenses? Welcome to the world of stylish and comfortable vision. If it is your first time owning contact lenses, the tryst with it can be a little tricky! You might have questions like; how to put in contact lenses? What if I accidentally poke my eye while putting it in? Oops! Where did it go? Is it in place? It’s okay to struggle with contact lenses in the beginning. We are here to help you learn how to include contact lenses in your routine.
But before we get into our short guide on how to wear and how to take out contact lenses, let’s know why more people are switching from glasses to contacts!
Why are contact lenses convenient?
If you are someone who hates winters because your glasses fog up or simply don’t like glasses because they aren’t aesthetic enough, contact lenses are the go-to solution for you. They are a comfortable vision solution that frees you from the burden of wearing eyeglasses and restores a sense of normalcy. Prescriptive contact lenses correct refractive errors that cause myopia (nearsightedness) and hypermetropia (farsightedness). With the advent of technology in the field of ophthalmology and eyewear, you get multiple options of contact lenses to suit specific eye care needs. It also comes in various materials to ensure optimal eye health and comfort. There are hard lenses, soft lenses, and even hybrid contact lenses for enhanced durability and clear vision.
Don’t worry about how to wear and how to remove contact lenses. We are here to help you with that. Once you switch to contact lenses, there is no going back for sure!
Why are Contact Lenses better than glasses?
Unlike eyeglasses, contact lenses directly stay on the cornea and this enables wider visual access. Wearing contact lenses allows you to have unrestricted central and peripheral vision. Also, with glasses, you may have to face the persistent trouble of distorted images, reflective glare, and restricted vision due to the frame design or size. With contact lenses, you can happily bid adieu to these troubles. Plus, no need to worry anymore about smudgy lenses, raindrops, or foggy winters because with your contact lenses on, you can go about all your daily tasks without any such hassle. Bonus benefit, they come in various aesthetic colours too!
If you have been putting off the plan to go glasses-free just because you don’t know how to put in contact lenses, let’s change the plan! The first thing you need to do is to get your eyes tested by a certified optometrist and get the prescription for your new contact lenses. At The Eye Lab, experience expertise and high technology eye checkups for accurate results and corrective prescriptions to enhance your vision.
Once you have your contact lenses ready, it’s time to come to the seemingly daunting part of the deal. How to put on and how to remove contact lenses?
How to put in contact lenses?
You might have come across a friend or a family member who had a bad experience with contact lenses. It was probably because they did not know the right way to put it in. Don’t let that stop you from enjoying glasses-free clear vision!
Here’s a step by step guide on how to put in contact lenses the correct and safe way:
1) Wash your hands well with soap and dry them. Your eyes and the contact lenses are very delicate and sensitive, which is why you must ensure clean hands before application.
2) Carefully open your contact lenses case and make sure you don’t mix up between the right and the left lenses.
3) Use your fingertip and gently slide one of the lenses onto the palm of your non-dominant hand. Keep in mind that you must not use your nails as they might tear or scratch the lens.
4) Rinse the lens with the contacts solution for easy wearing.
5) Gently place the lens on the tip of your index or middle finger of the dominant hand. The edges of the lens should form a bowl-like stance.
6) Stand up close in front of a mirror so that you can see what you are doing.
7) Use your non-dominant hand to lift your upper eyelid and the middle finger of your dominant hand to hold your lower eyelid firmly.
8) Look up and carefully place the lens in your eye with your dominant index finger.
9) Close your eyes and patiently wait to let the lens settle onto the eyeball and repeat the same for the other eye.
10) The lens should feel comfortable in the eye and the vision should be clear. If not, remove the lens, rinse it in contact solution, and try the method again.
Now that you know how to put in contact lenses, all you need is to try the method a few more times to master it. Initially, your hands might shake, the lens might slip off your fingertips and even your eyes might tear up a little. But that’s all a part of getting the hang of it. After all, practice maketh a man perfect!
Well, you have your contact lens put in place, now let’s learn how to remove contact lenses safely.
How to take out contact lenses?
Your contact lenses can stay in there all day, right? You need a fixed schedule to remove your contact lenses on time to prevent infections and irritation. But how to take out contact lenses?
1) Wash your hands well with soap and dry. Preferably use a clean lint-free cloth for drying your hands so that you don’t end up contaminating the lens or the contacts solution.
2) Use your non-dominant hand to hold open the upper eyelid.
3) Use the middle finger of your dominant hand to hold open the lower eyelid.
4) With your dominant index finger and thumb, gently slide down the lens and pinch it out slowly.
5) Repeat with the other eye.
6) Put the contact lenses back in the storage case and immerse them in the solution. Remember, not to mix up the left and right lenses.
Knowing how to put on and how to remove contact lenses is not enough. For optimal eye health, you must also be aware of the right practices and tips regarding wearing and storing contact lenses.
Dos and don’ts of wearing contact lenses
- Do trim your fingernails if you regularly use contact lenses. Always use your fingertips as fingernails can tear, scratch, or damage the lenses while insertion or removal. Even if you master the art of how to put in contact lenses, fingernails are a big NO.
- Do remember the golden rule “contact lenses first”, when you apply or remove your makeup. Put on your lenses even before your moisturizer and primer. Also before washing off your makeup, first remove your lenses and safely place them in the case.
- Do keep your contact lens case clean. Replace the lens solution in the case regularly and make sure the lenses are stored immersed in the solution.
- Don’t bathe with your lenses on. Strictly avoid using lenses when you are swimming, bathing, or using a hot tub to avoid bacterial growth and risky eye infections.
- Don’t sleep with your contact lenses on, otherwise, you might invite eye infections and irritation. Don’t be lazy; you just learned how to take out contact lenses! Make sure that you remove your lenses and wash your eyes well before you head to bed.
- Don’t share your contact lenses with your friends or family members. You don’t want to end up with pink eye!
When to call your doctor?
If you face any of the following discomforts or symptoms, remove your lenses and immediately consult your optometrist:
- Itchy or burning sensation
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurry vision
- Teary eyes or discharge
Hope our little guide on how to put in contact lenses and how to remove contact lenses helps!
Have you made up your mind to get a new pair of contacts for yourself? At The Eye Lab Melbourne, choose from a wide range of high-quality lenses for glasses-free vision! Experience holistic eye care and health solutions with our eye test facilities and eyewear collection.